Summer is coming on quickly and it just keeps getting hotter! I figured this would be a great time to share some tips for keeping your air conditioners working smoothly and keeping your energy costs down as well.
Here are five tips to get you started:
- Clean or replace your furnace filter monthly or at least as frequently as the manufacturer recommends. A clean filter helps to reduce the work of the motor, lengthening its life and reduces ambient dust in your home making it healthier as well.
- Close those drapes and draw the blinds to block out the heat from the sun.
- Call in the pros for scheduled maintenance. For instance, the blower system and heat exchanger should be cleaned annually to keep your system running efficiently.
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees for cooling (68 degrees for heating in the winter months). Even better, install a programmable thermostat to handle the settings for you. (Check out how easy they are to install)
- If you are using or buying a window air-conditioner, make sure it is the right size for the room or area that you are trying to cool. Bigger isn’t always better in this case.
If you are looking for a new or replacement air-conditioner, here are some questions to consider:
- Where and how the air conditioner will be installed or used?
- How large is the room where you plan to install your new unit?
- What special feature options are most beneficial to you?
- Will you be installing your new air conditioner by yourself or will you have help?
This guide has some great information and guidance for figuring out which air-conditioner is right for you.
Stay cool friends!