This easy-to-make DIY industrial lamp will create a trendy industrial look for your desk or table. This cool desk lamp is made from lengths of steel pipe and fittings, a light kit and a light bulb– all readily available at your local Home Depot store.
Just follow the step-by-step tutorial, and you’ll have your new pipe lamp completed in no time.
Materials for DIY Industrial Lamp Project
FPT = “female pipe thread”; MPT = “male pipe thread”
- 6 — ½” 90-degree elbows
- 4 — ½” tees
- 1 — ¾” FPT to 1″ FPT coupling (top of the third row in the photo above; we’ll call this the “¾ to 1 coupling” below)
- 1 — ½” FPT to ¾” MPT coupling (second from top of third row in photo; we’ll call this the “½ to ¾ coupling” below)
- 1 — ½” strain relief fitting (third from top of third row in photo)
- 6 — ½” x 3″ black pipe nipples (fifth and sixth rows in photo)
- 1 — ½” x 6″ black pipe nipple (bottom of seventh row in photo)
- 2 — ½” close nipples (top of seventh row in photo)
- 1 — ½” x 10″ black pipe nipple (eighth row in photo)
- Lamp kit
- Light bulb of your choosing (We used the Feit Electric Original Style 60 Watt Incandescent Bulb to match the industrial/steampunk look of the pipe lamp)
You should always check with local authorities to ensure that any DIY project abides by local codes and regulations.
Building the Lamp Base
Thread two ½ x 3 nipples into a tee.
Thread two elbows onto the exposed end of the ½ x 3 nipples.
This will be one of the legs of the lamp.
Repeat for the other leg of the lamp.
Screw two ½ x 3 nipples into a tee for the middle bar.
Thread the middle section into the legs created in Steps 2 and 3.
Your pipe lamp base is now complete!
Building the Lamp Body and Wiring It
Thread a close nipple into the bottom of a tee.
Then thread a strain relief fitting into the back of the tee.
Thread the ½ x 10 nipple into the top of the tee.
Thread the lamp wire through the strain relief fitting and up the neck of the 10-inch nipple.
Add an elbow and the ½ x 6 nipple to the top of the assembly.
Thread another elbow onto the end of the ½ x 6 nipple.
Pass the lamp wire through.
Thread a close nipple into the ¾ to 1 coupling, and fit the rubber bushing (white) and threaded rod (silver) from the lamp kit to the inside of the coupling.
Then thread the ¾ to 1 coupling to the ½ to ¾ coupling.
Pass the wire through the assembly created in Step 9, and thread it into the elbow.
Thread the socket base onto the threaded rod in the assembly created in Step 9.
Connect the lamp wires to the socket.
Fit the socket into the socket base.
Screw in the light bulb, tighten the strain relief fitting on the back of the lamp.
Switch your new industrial pipe lamp on!
Black pipe and pipe fittings for your DIY industrial pipe projects are always available at The Home Depot.