Earth Day is a celebration of our environment and a day to reflect on our individual impact on the world around us. We all hear the messages: Replacing old light bulbs to CFL’s or LED bulbs can save huge amounts of energy let alone money and so on and so on. But how many of us are really taking action?
Many folks think that in order to make a difference it will cost them a ton of money or they will have to settle for a lesser quality product or the effort they put in won’t make much of a difference. That’s simply not true anymore.
What is true is that there are so many simple actions and options that we can each take action on today to help us conserve an incredible amount of energy use (and save us all money), lessen our carbon footprint and protect the world that we have inherited for our children and our grandchildren.
Simple and affordable projects like changing out those old light bulbs for the newer, more efficient LED bulbs or composting in your garden or conserving water by making your toilet a dual-flush toilet are all projects that make an instant impact on our world.
Earth Day started back in 1970 with a call from US Senator Gaylord Nelson to the nation to come together to protect our world and environment. Since that first Earth Day, many things have changed in our environment for better and worse.
How do you celebrate Earth Day? What projects will you take on to improve our world? To help you get started, here are some great articles, guides, projects and videos to help you learn how you can make Earth Day a great day for future generations:
- Recycle Your Old Rechargeable Batteries and Cellphones at The Home Depot
- Is Your Home a Healthy Home?
- Ultimate Curb Appeal: New Windows Save Money and Energy
- Chill Your Summer Utility Bills: Save Money and Energy by Updating Your Home’s Insulation
- The Home Depot’s Commitment to Good Environmental Stewardship
- Water Conservation: Rain Barrels Can Really Help Your Gardens Grow
- Save Water, Save Money with WaterSense Labeled Products
- Tax Credits: 6 Ways Uncle Sam Can Help You Make the Most of Home Improvements
- Conserve Water and Save Money with Dual Flush Toilets
- Gardening 101: How to Use Rain Barrels in Your Garden
- Gardening 101: How-To Start Composting
- Nike and Home Depot Team Up to Bring You The Greenest Carpet Pad
- Quick Facts about LED Light Bulbs
- Blue Light, Yellow Light, Clear Light…GO!
- Energy Savings: Insulating Your Home Saves You Money and Energy
- 5 Great Reasons To Bring Home ENERGY STAR® Rated Products
- Conserve: Evaluate Your Home’s Energy Efficiency for Free and Start Saving
- Save Money and Maximize Your Home’s Energy Efficiency: Heating and Cooling Q&A’s
- Prepare and Maintain: Home Maintenance Checklist
- Prepare and Maintain: More Home Maintenance Tips
- Sustainable Gardening: Composting Made Easy
- Help for Finding the Right Air Conditioner for Your Home
- Cool It Down: Tips For Cooling (and Heating) Your Home Efficiently