For a while now, I’ve been looking for ways to make my home greener, more energy efficient and cut my utility costs. It doesn’t seem like an easy task, especially if you have an older home. One way I have found to make the process easier is to buy ENERGY STAR® rated products whenever I can. Even the laptop I’m typing this post on is ENERGY STAR rated.
While I was working on today’s post, I came across this quote from the U.S. Department of Energy: “Americans, with the help of ENERGY STAR®, saved enough energy in 2009 alone to avoid greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those from 30 million cars — all while saving nearly $17 billion on their utility bills.”
I knew that I was saving here and there by purchasing ENERGY STAR products, but what we are saving collectively is just amazing. Imagine how much energy and cash we can all save in 2010 and beyond if we are all more conscious when we are shopping.
I put together five reasons to get all of us thinking about considering ENERGY STAR qualified products for our homes:
- They say the average American household can reduce its energy use and save over one-third (about $700 per year) on energy bills by using ENERGY STAR products and best practices.
- This one is great, you may be able receive up to $1,500 in tax credit this year by investing in energy efficient improvements to your home with ENERGY STAR products. Here’s a link to find out the details specific to you because these rebates vary by products and where you live.
- ENERGY STAR products meet very strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA and US Department of Energy.
- Products that earn the ENERGY STAR Rating must have the features and performance that we consumers want and need and still offer better energy efficiency.
- Using these products in your home reduces greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants.
- Check out this great ENERGY STAR savings video, she explains the impact of buying ENERGY STAR very well.
There is such a variety of ENERGY STAR® qualified products available for your home such as air conditioners, doors, windows, kitchen appliances, outdoor light fixtures and many more. In fact, you can find thousands of ENERGY STAR® Rated products throughout homedepot.com.
Making my home more green and saving some too makes me very happy and makes me feel a little bit better about trying turning on the air conditioner in this heat.
Bonus Saving Tip:
For a limited time, you now can get 10% off all ENERGY STAR qualified appliances ($398 or more) plus free delivery AND they haul away your old appliance free too. (Some of you may be eligible for that tax credit as well for even more savings!)