In our Style Challenge series, we ask some of our favorite bloggers from around the web to surprise us with their ideas for creating a stylish and functional space using Home Depot products as a starting point.
Kelly of Eclectically Vintage has a knack for taking mundane items and turning them into decorating statements, so we couldn’t wait to see her Halloween decorating ideas. Take a look how she mixed some Home Depot Halloween decorations into her eclectic style and ended up with a delightfully spooky fireplace mantel for Halloween. For our Halloween Style Challenge, Kelly also shares her tutorial for adding light-up spiders to carvable foam pumpkins.
Gone are the days when my girls dressed in pink and yellow princess costumes waving magic wands while trick or treating.
Today, my girls insist on a spooky Halloween!
I aim to please …
Avert your eyes if you have arachnophobia.
I love to decorate around a theme and this eight foot spider is the main attraction.
Just like when I decorate a room, I prefer a few statement making pieces that make an impact for holiday decorating.
A branch that crashed onto my garage roof the other day was dragged inside and propped against the mantel.
Purple blinking spider lights swarming out of white pumpkins look amazing during the day …
and even creepier at night.
How to Make Blinking Spider Light Pumpkins
1) Simply spray paint orange carvable foam pumpkins white.
2) Drill holes (large enough to fit tip of lights) into your foam pumpkin.
3) Cut a hole in the back of the pumpkin large enough to fit your hand.
4) Put string of spider lights into pumpkin, remove spiders from lights and push lights through drilled holes then reattach spiders onto lights.
5) Put double sided sticky dots onto back of spiders then stick onto the pumpkin so they lie flat.
6) Plug in and watch them blink and sparkle (I used a power strip with a switch, so I don’t have to unplug the lights to turn them off).
What’s a spooky Halloween without a tombstone?
This one goes the extra mile with eyes that light up – in brightly glowing colors!
A few more slithering creatures make an appearance.
Silver spray paint blings out a trio of skulls perched on tarnished silver candlesticks.
Now my girls can be sure to impress their friends at their Halloween party where they’ll bob for apples and sit around the Ouiji board while telling ghost stories.
Although I still miss those days of princess costumes!
Kelly shares her love of thrift shops, tarnished silver and vintage anything on her blog Eclectically Vintage.
To style her Halloween mantel, Kelly used the following products from The Home Depot:
- 22 inch Lighted Tombstone
- 24-Light LED Mini Purple Icicle Spider Lights
- 8ft. Giant Black Tarantula Spider with Poseable Legs
- Foam carvable pumpkins
Visit our online Holiday Decorations Department for everything you need to decorate your home for Halloween.