Ants and other unwelcome pests seem to have a way of showing up just in time to ruin a perfect outdoor gathering. So, to help you combat meddlesome insects seeking to invade your home or interrupt your outdoor fun, we asked Maureen from The Home Depot Community Forums to prepare a simple battle plan for dealing with these pests.
In this short video, she will brief you on insect and pest control products and simple procedures you should follow to eradicate ants and other insects from your lawn and home.
Here’s a peek at her strategy:
• Know thy enemy Certain types of ants, especially carpenter ants, can do structural damage to your home. So it helps to know what type of ant you’re dealing with to choose the right eradication method and products. If you need to call in backup, snap a close-up of the ant and send it to your local extension service for help identifying the ant and tips on ridding yourself of them.
• Clean up your act A clean home is a hostile environment for ants and insects, so be sure you’re not leaving anything out for them to chow on. If you have indoor pets, spray a mixture of vinegar and water around the food bowls to discourage ants and other insects from stealing rations when you’re not looking.
• Establish a perimeter Use an outdoor insecticide to spray a 12-inch-wide barrier all around the foundation of your home. Look for outdoor insecticides labeled “barrier treatment” as your weapons of choice.
• Cover their tracks If you see one ant in your home, trust that there are more to come. And ants always leave a scented trail for other ants to follow. Spray a mixture of one part water and three parts vinegar anywhere you’ve seen ants to disorient others attempting to enter your home in search of grub.
• Kill the colony Why settle for killing just one ant when you can get rid of the whole colony? Bait the areas where you’ve seen scout ants roaming. They’ll carry the bait back to the rest of the colony and you’ll soon be rid of the whole lot.
• Take back the yard and hills Ants and anthills can ruin an otherwise perfect day in the sun. Mount a full-scale assault on ants by applying a family- and pet-safe lawn and garden insect spray with a garden hose, or spreading insect killer over your entire lawn.
Follow these orders and you can repel and eliminate most pests that would seek refuge in your lawn and home.
For help with any other questions related to your lawn or garden, visit the Garden Center online or at your local Home Depot store. And check out more DIY and home improvement videos here on the Home Depot blog and on The Home Depot’s YouTube channel.