While rain barrels have been around for some time, they keep growing more and more popular. They have become a critical gardening tool for those of us who live in drought susceptible areas and earth-friendly gardeners. Rain barrels are a great way to conserve water and water utility costs throughout the entire country.
So why is a rain barrel a good investment?
Your downspout is directed to the barrel instead of to the driveway or sewer system. The water can be used for your garden, lawn, or even car washing to reduce the amount of tap water used.
Here are some important things to think about when you are purchasing or installing your rain barrel:
- When purchasing a rain barrel, look for a unit that has an opening that will fit your downspout pipe, and comes equipped with a screen. The screen will filter out debris and prevent mosquitoes from breeding.
- Never use collected water for drinking, cooking, or bathing. The collected water is meant for lawn, garden, and car wash use only.
- Ensure that you follow all the manufacturer’s installation instructions that come with your rain barrel.
- Depending on the type of rain barrel you purchase, you may need some of these tools for installation: hacksaw, pliers or hammer.
- Make sure the ground that the barrel will sit on is flat. You may need a spade or shovel to flatten out the surface.
- Be sure that your downspout in good working order and clear of any blockages.
- Keep the screened vent in place on your rain barrel. It will prevent insects from breeding, and will stop items such as leaves and twigs from entering your rain barrel.
- It may be possible to hook a soaker hose to your rain barrel. This allows you to run the hose through your vegetable garden or flowerbed – a great way to cut down on water consumption.
Learn more about rain the different types of rain barrels and maintenance or check out our wide range of rain barrels to help you cut water costs and conserve water throughout the year.